If you’re looking for relaxation and seclusion, then Vieques could be the perfect place for you. An island off the East coast of Puerto Rico, Vieques can be accessed via plane or ferry from mainland Puerto Rico. The island is quieter and less touristy than San Juan, but still has plenty to see and do. Here are 6 reasons you should visit Vieques on your Puerto Rico trip:
1. Playa Esperanza – Offers some of the best snorkeling on the island with direct access from the beach – no tour or boat required.
2. The Malecon in Esperanza – Esperanza is the main city most tourists stay in on Vieques. The boardwalk along the beach has restaurants and shops along it.
3. Secluded beaches – Vieques offers a number of beaches along the coastline that are seldom frequented by others. If you want to find your own beach to spend the day, you can certainly do so in Vieques.
4. Mosquito Bay – Arguably the best place to see the Bioluminescent Bay in Puerto Rico, Mosquito Bay offers visitors to chance to see the supernatural phenomenon for themselves. Check out our guide to Puerto Rico’s Bio Bays here.
5. Playa Negra – a natural black sand beach created from volcanic activity on the island.
6. Boat tours – get out and see the island from the water and enjoy the bright blue ocean. There are many boat tours to choose from or you can rent your own catamaran for a reasonable price and take it sailing yourself.